|3. Java Simulation Design for Teaching and Learning http://edulab.moe.edu.sg/edulab-programmes/existing-projects|
updating this page http://edulab.moe.edu.sg/edulab-programmes/existing-projects
By River Valley High, Yishun Junior College, Innova Junior College, Anderson Junior College and Serangoon Junior College, supported by eduLab learning designers
- Ms. Lim Ai Phing, Senior Physics Teacher, River Valley High (2013-current)
- Mr. Xu Weiming, Physics Teacher, River Valley High (2012)
Project InformationThis project aims to increase student’s appreciation and efficacy in handling multi-variable phenomena and concepts, with a view of improving students’ understanding of challenging concepts in physics, through customized computer models. Applying the guided inquiry approach to learning, these computer models are used to bridge the gap between theory and reality, providing students with visual and relevant representations of physics concepts.
In 2012, more than 2000 students from 5 schools, with the aid of 39 teachers, benefited from the 6 lesson packages featuring 9 computer models. Both students and teachers gave positive feedback. For instance, teachers shared that they were able to more effectively transmit difficult physics concepts to their students as the computer models could be customized to fit their specific purposes. On the other hand, students enjoyed the increased engagement and interaction that stemmed from such a learning approach.
For more information regarding the project, please contact the eduLab learning designers, Mr. Wee Loo Kang at firstname.lastname@example.org or Miss Lye Sze Yee at email@example.com.
- 6th IPSG instructional program support group A level physics scaling page (2014)
- ExCEL Fest scaling page (2013)
- Working site https://sites.google.com/site/lookang/ (2012)
- Wee, L. K., & Goh, G. H. (2013). A geostationary Earth orbit satellite model using Easy Java Simulation. Physics Education, 48(1), 72. doi: 10.1088/0031-9120/48/1/72 arXiv:1212.3863 [pdf] [1212.3863iopgeostationary.pdf]
- Wee, L. K. (2012). One-dimensional collision carts computer model and its design ideas for productive experiential learning. Physics Education, 47(3): 301. arXiv:1204.4964 [pdf] [1204.4964iopejscollision.pdf]
- Wee L.K. (2013) Open Source Physics, i in Practice 1(1), p. 58-63, Ministry of Education.[PDF] [iinpracticeOpen Source Physics_PG58-63_lr.pdf]
Conference Papers and Presentations
- Lye S.Y., Wee L.K., (2013) Primary School Energy Comes Alive with Customized Open Source Simulation, Paper presented at the 5th Redesign Pedagogy, Singapore, 04 Jun 2013, 10:30 : 12:00, NIE7-01-TR701.[ PAP057 PrimarySciSimulationComesAlive.pptx]
- Wee, L. K., Goh, G. H., & Chew, C. (2013). Enabling Gravity Physics by Inquiry using Easy Java Simulation. Paper presented at the 5th Redesign Pedagogy, Singapore. 04 Jun 2013, 14:15 : 15:45, NIE7-01-TR702. [1303.00795thresigngravity.pdf]
- Aloysius Goh, K. S., Wee, L. K., Yip, K. W., Jeffrey Toh, P. Y., & Lye, S. Y. (2013). Addressing learning difficulties in Newtons 1st and 3rd Laws through problem based inquiry using Easy Java Simulation. Paper presented at the 5th Redesign Pedagogy, Singapore. 04 Jun 2013, 16:15 : 17:45, NIE7-01-TR705. [1303.00815thredesigncollisionajc.pdf]
- Wee,L.K., Ong C.W. Ng S.K., Lim A.P., Lee T.L., Goh G.H., Chew Charles, Yeo W.L., Lim C.L., Goh K.S., & Lim E.P., Singapore Open SourcePhysics and the lessons developed under EduLab NRF2011-EDU001-EL001, Symposium presentation, presented at the 5th Redesign Pedagogy, Singapore, 04 Jun 2013, 10:30 : 12:00, NIE7-01-TR706. [SYM001AAINTRO.pptx][SYM001Eclosenew.pptx]
- Virtual Lab Ripple Tank Model Ripple Tank Interference Model in IJC and RVHS [SYM001aRippleTank.pptx]
- Gravity Physics by Inquiry: MOEHQ Innergy Award Gold 2012
- Teacher directed demonstration or student directed guided inquiry? Time for a re-think?
- How can we address learning difficulties in Newton's 1st and 3rd laws through PbI using ICT?
- Wee, L. K., & Lye, S. Y. (2012). Designing Open Source Computer Models for Physics by Inquiry using Easy Java Simulation. Paper presented at the 20th International Conference on Computers in Education (ICCE 2012) Singapore Interactive Event, Singapore. [pdf][1211.7153 OpenSourceEnergySimulationfinal.pdf]
- Lye, S. Y., & Wee, L. K. (2012). Open Source Energy Simulation for Elementary School. Paper presented at the 20th International Conference on Computers in Education, Singapore. arXiv:1211.7153 [pdf][1211.7153 OpenSourceEnergySimulationfinal.pdf]
- Wee L.K., Lim A.P., Goh G.S., Lye S.Y., Lee T.L., Xu W.M., Goh G.H., Ong C.W., Ng S.K., Lim E.P., Lim C.L., Yeo W.L., Ong Matthew, Lim Kenneth (2012, 01-06 July, 1300-1430) Computer Models Design for Teaching and Learning using Easy Java Simulation PS 02.09 | Parallel Session 02.09 | Room 09 | 02.07.2012 Monday | 13:00 - 14:30 | 2012 World Conference on Physics Education Bahçeşehir Üniversitesi, İstanbul, Turkey arXiv:1210.3410 [pdf][7-WCPE2012(413-438).pdf]
- Wee, L. K. (2012, 08 February). Physics Educators as Designers of Simulation Using EJS Part 2. Paper presented at the American Association of Physics Teachers National Meeting Conference: 2012 Winter Meeting, Ontario, California, USA.arXiv:1211.1118 [pdf][1211.1118 AAPTWM2012.pdf]
- Innergy Award 2014 HQ (Interactive Learning Resources) (commendation)
- Innergy Award 2012 (Gravity-Physics by Inquiry) Gold Award
- Best Suggestion of the November Month 2013 (Ripple Tank Model) River Valley High School