Pages

Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Tracker Mobile Live Now. targeting handphones

 Hi Douglas,

Thank you for recommending that Tracker Student Mobile remain separate and be based on the active SwingJS branch. I have now reorganised the project accordingly.

The updated work is here:

The StudentMobile branch was created directly from OpenSourcePhysics/tracker:SwingJS and is currently one commit ahead. I did not merge the earlier master-based prototype history into it. I also closed the earlier upstream pull request because the mobile version should remain an independent variant rather than be merged wholesale into the standard Tracker interface.

Progress so far includes:

  • A phone-oriented command bar that groups functions under Project, New Track, Measure, Views and More.
  • Larger touch targets for menus, controls, tracks, calibration tools and coordinate-system manipulation.
  • Responsive dialogs and Library Browser improvements for smaller screens.
  • Better support for opening local files and Tracker projects on mobile browsers.
  • Touch handling for marking point masses, manipulating calibration sticks and moving coordinate axes.
  • Improvements to plot, table and other analysis-panel layouts.
  • Documentation covering the project goals, architecture, testing, change history and the boundary between standard Tracker and the mobile adaptation.
  • Source and generated SwingJS checks against the matching OpenSourcePhysics/osp:swingJS dependency.

I have tested the interface at phone and desktop viewport sizes. The migrated launcher loads successfully, the mobile menus operate, and the desktop interface remains available at larger widths. I have also applied two further Library Browser/video-loading corrections in the GitHub branch. Those latest corrections still need physical iPhone testing and are not yet included in the currently published live build.

I will continue treating phones as the primary acceptance target, especially for complete finger-based workflows rather than simply fitting the existing interface onto a smaller screen.

When convenient, could you review the StudentMobile branch and let me know whether its structure and separation from the main Tracker development branch look appropriate? Any further iPhone testing observations would also be very helpful.

Thanks again for your guidance and for developing Tracker.

No comments:

Post a Comment